Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Leaning Pile of Books

This week I received one early Christmas present and one ARC. I was excited about both of them, but especially the early Christmas present.





The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge

I have wanted to read this book for a long time but have never gotten it since it was out of print. So I was very thrilled when my husband found me a signed hardcover copy and gave it to me as an early Christmas present. It's a science fiction story based on Hans Christian Andersen's "Snow Queen." I love fairy tale retellings, and I'm especially curious about combining one with science fiction (until I read the inside cover, I always assumed it was fantasy because of the fairy tale association). This one may have to be read soon after the holiday craziness is over.

A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire

The second book in the October Daye series will be released on March 2, 2010. Once it got going, I had fun with Rosemary and Rue (review), the first book, and found I'd become attached to the characters enough to really want to know more about them in the next book. I was very happy to see Tybalt was mentioned early in this one since he was my favorite from the previous book.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

A Local Habitation sounds good. I haven't read Rosemary and Rue yet, off now to read your review! Enjoy your books :)

Angiegirl said...

What a sweet early Christmas present! I've been wanting to read THE SNOW QUEEN for a long time as well and have never run across a copy. Looking forward to your review.

orannia said...

That's a very thoughtful Christmas present from your husband...plus I can't imagine how much time it took to track down :) I look forward to hearing what you think.

Ohhh. Must get on and read Rosemary & Rue!

Kristen said...

Book Chick City - A Local Habitation does sound good - I was very happy to find out that was what the mystery package in my mailbox was!

Angiegirl - I did love my early Christmas present! :) It's not a book I've ever come across either, but it has always sounded wonderful and I'm glad to finally have a copy.

Orannia - I can't wait to read it! If it wasn't so busy right now, I'd start it, but it will have to wait until after the holidays.

Kerry said...

I love The Snow Queen and have read it many times. I've also read the sequel, World's End. Somehow though, I've never yet read the last book in the trilogy, The Summer Queen. I will one day, I swear.

I hope you really enjoy The Snow Queen - it's a favourite of mine. I have a print of the cover hanging in my dining room and absolutely love it. Sadly, though, I think it must have faded in the sun as I'm sure it started out a brighter blue than it is now. (I have a copy of the book, with a horrible and embarrassing 70s/80s cover.)

Anastasia said...

Snow Queen is one of my favorite books as well, but I actually like the sequel, Summer Queen better. An extremely rare case of the sequel being better than the original. The events in World's End are incorporated in Summer Queen so you can go straight to it.

Kristen said...

Kerry - The copy of the book I have is an older cover, too, not the newest one. I wonder if it's the same one you have; the description sounds similar.

Anastasia - Thanks for the info on the sequels - if I like The Snow Queen I'll have to see about tracking down Summer Queen.