Sunday, September 5, 2010

2010 Hugo Awards

The winners of the 2010 Hugo Awards have been announced:

Best Novel: TIE: The City & The City, China MiƩville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK); The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)

Best Novella: “Palimpsest”, Charles Stross (Wireless; Ace, Orbit)

Best Novelette: “The Island”, Peter Watts (The New Space Opera 2; Eos)

Best Short Story: “Bridesicle”, Will McIntosh (Asimov’s 1/09)

Best Related Book: This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is “I”), Jack Vance (Subterranean)

Best Graphic Story: Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm Written by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: Moon Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones (Liberty Films)

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: Doctor Who: “The Waters of Mars” Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper (BBC Wales)

Best Editor Short Form: Ellen Datlow

Best Editor Long Form: Patrick Nielsen Hayden

Best Professional Artist: Shaun Tan

Best Semiprozine: Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan

Best Fan Writer: Frederik Pohl

Best Fanzine: StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith

Best Fan Artist: Brad W. Foster

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer: Seanan McGuire

Congratulations to all the winners! I am especially happy to see Seanan McGuire recognized as best new writer since I love her October Daye series.

6 comments:

Jamie Gibbs said...

A good set of results there. I've heard good things about The Windup Girl, but I think The City & The City intrigues me the most.

I like that they've also included fanzine and fan writer too. I'll have to give Seanan McGuire a look too. Thanks :)

Kristen said...

Jamie - The Windup Girl and The City & The City both sound intriguing. I haven't read any of the nominated novels, but since I read Valente's wonderful The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden, I was hoping she might win.

Seanan McGuire's October Daye series is one of my three favorite urban fantasy series right now, along with Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels. It takes place in San Francisco and all the titles are taken from Shakespeare plays (they're urban fantasy involving faerie). She also writes as Mira Grant and has one book out under that name now, Feed. It's a zombie novel and I normally don't like those but since this one wasn't particularly gory and was about the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, I found it pretty interesting.

Benjamin said...

I was pleasantly surprised to hear about the tie for best novel. I had expected The City and the City to win, but was hoping The Windup Girl might manage a challenge. Both books are certainly worthy.

I was also happy to hear about Moon, though I would have been satisfied with District 9 as well.

Kristen said...

Benjamin - I haven't read either winning novel yet, but both sound interesting. Since I already have Perdido Street Station I'll read that before The City and the City, though.

I hadn't even heard of Moon before it was nominated. It's the only movie on the list I haven't seen. Out of the ones I saw, I think I would have picked District 9 as well. Even if it did really gross me out a couple of times...

Benjamin said...

Kristen - Perdido Street Station is quite a bit different from The City and the City, but it's certainly a good place to start. I started with City myself then picked up the other books.

I know what you mean the grossness in District 9. ;-) I hadn't even heard of Moon until I read about it several months ago on a message board.

Kristen said...

Benjamin - Oh good, glad I wasn't the only one cringing during District 9. I tend to be pretty squeamish anyway so sometimes it is just me. ;)