Thursday, July 31, 2008

Update

There are two reviews coming up soon, one on Elizabeth Bear's Whiskey and Water and the other on Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold (both by authors that I am now hooked on). I'm still getting caught up after a crazy couple of weeks but should be able to get one of those up in the next couple of days.

I've been reading two books - Crystal Rain by Tobias Buckell and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. The latter has captured my interest even though it can be rather dense at times, but at least so far, I'm not understanding all the rave reviews of the former. I'm only a little past the halfway point now, though, so there's still time for that to change.

After these two, I think I'd like to go for something a bit more character driven. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

ThRiNiDiR said...

Hey Kristen, I'm yet to read Bear and Bujold; they are on my high-priority list, but these being the slow months I'm not reading much (I've been in and out of Harry Potter's 7book for the last couple of weeks and I've barely passed the 100 page mark)...

Anonymous said...

I'm also totally hooked on Bujold! I keep wanting to read new authors, but it's hard to do when there's yet more Bujold books on my shelf.

More character-driven... Ok.

"Archangel Protocol" by Lyda Morehouse (yeah, I'm ballot-stuffing, I know...)

"Alanya to Alanya" by L. Timmel Duchamp

Have you read any Maureen F. McHugh? She's an excellent writer, although her books tend to be melancholic and end very abruptly. "China Mountain Zhang" is her most accomplished and best acclaimed novel - about a young man in the near-future NYC, in a world where China is the world superpower. "Nekropolis" has the advantage of being short and having a very interesting premise: a chemical compulsion to love as a form of slavery, and there's also an interesting response to Tanith Lee's "Silver Metal Lover." (If you haven't read that, I recommend.) "Nekropolis" does suffer from a jarring ending, and leaves you rather disturbed, like wtf?

Kristen said...

Thrinidir - I know what you mean, it's been a slow reading month for me as well. It's just been a busy month.

Nephtis - Bujold is wonderful. I'm out of books on my shelf by her, unfortunately. That will have to be remedied sometime soon. Thanks for your suggestions. I have Alanya to Alanya on my wishlist (due to one of your recommendations on wotmania) and I already have Archangel Protocol on the bookshelf (for the same reason the former is on my wishlist). I have not yet read Maureen McHugh but Nekropolis sounds interesting. Tanith Lee's Silver Metal Lover is on the wish list; I'll have to add the McHugh one for after I read Lee's book.