Thursday, October 2, 2008

New and Upcoming Books


There are quite a few new or soon-to-be new books coming up that I am very excited about. So I'm going to go all fan-girly for a moment (ok, a few moments).

Both Nation by Terry Pratchett and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman were just released a few days ago (September 30 in the US). Two YA books by the co-authors of Good Omens coming out on the same day... seems a bit coincidental. I look forward to reading both of those. I also love the cover of The Graveyard Book.


The October release I'm the most enthusiastic about is All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear. I actually thought this book was supposed to come out in December for some reason until a couple of days ago so I was thrilled to find out it was coming out sooner than I thought. It's the first one of her books I've heard about coming out in hardcover (I'll have to deal with a mismatched set, I guess, since I'm not waiting for paperback). Norse mythology, magic and technology - this sounds fantastic. I love how Bear handles mythology so I am really looking forward to this one - and October 28, its release date.

The final Mistborn book Hero of Ages is coming out on October 14. I still haven't read The Well of Ascension yet so I'm not quite ready for that one, although I did enjoy the first book in the series.

The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks has been getting some attention lately (Fantasy Book News and Reviews, Pat's Fantasy Hotlist, Fantasy and Sci-Fi Lovin' Book Reviews, Grasping for the Wind). It just came out September 30 and the second part of the trilogy Shadow's Edge is to be released on October 28. The final book is coming out about a month after that - none of that waiting forever for the next book with this set. It also sounds like my type of book - a character driven story about an assassin containing blurred lines between good and evil. I'll have to check that one out at some point.

What else is exciting that I've missed?

No comments: